Archive for November 2016

Balfour Forest   Leave a comment

This area, about 15 minutes from home, was first mapped about 20 years ago, then again in 2006, and now has a new map made using LIDAR by Ziv Noiman. Basically it’s a steep slope with some rocky features, but there are some nice contours and now that the embargo for the first race there is over I have an excellent training area available when I feel like it.

Saturday’s national event was physically tough, but fun. The 1:7500 map was easy on my eyes, the undergrowth was nonexistent (no rain yet), and the course was very good. I ran H35 and finished 4th, so I don’t yet feel the need to race at my own age. Maybe when I’m 50…

I especially liked the long leg – something which we usually don’t have, because the courses aren’t really long. I didn’t like the lack of water – only at control 14, after almost an hour of running, on a warm, dry and windy day. I felt strong, had a good race, and finished the 8.1 km course (with 390m climb) in 71:45.

Afterwards Roni arrived with the kids and we walked the children’s course (about 1 km), which was excellent for Alon – short enough and with interesting controls. There are quite a few national events in our area this season, so we can travel to some of them in two cars. One of us will run early each time, and then the rest of the family arrives and the children can enjoy the forest instead of being bored while both of us run in turns. Next season will be easier, because Matan will be bigger and we’ll have to carry only Yael, so one of us can walk the family course with all three smaller kids while the other is running.

20161119_balfour_route

Advertisements

Posted 24/11/2016 by dchissick in Uncategorized

Tagged with

Organising the results   Leave a comment

Last weekend I organised a mini-rogaine (only 4 hours) in Birya Forest, which is a very steep and very nice area that contains three separate orienteering maps. My work was divided into two parts:

  1. Mapping a small extension, planning and marking controls, and redrawing parts of the existing MTBO map (which I made ten years ago).
  2. Using my BI (Business Intelligence) skills, which I usually get paid for, to create a dynamic analysis of the results on Tableau Public. Most of the preparation was done in advance, with a sample data set, and after the event I just had to switch the data and add some finishing touches.

The results, of both efforts, were successful. 180 orienteers enjoyed the event, in almost perfect weather conditions, and there were none of our usual mishaps (controls stolen, emptied water controls, not enough maps, etc.). The feedback on the results was good as well, and the nice thing is that I can now reuse the code for future events. Below is a sample screenshot, and clicking on it will link you to the interactive results – all the explanations and headings are in English, but the team names are in Hebrew.


birya-screenshot

Posted 09/11/2016 by dchissick in Uncategorized

Tagged with ,